Partnering with stakeholders is important. We know this.
What is “Coffee with the Counselors?”
What topics do you present on for “Coffee with the Counselors?”
We offer social/emotional topics that they’re not going to find at an evening open house, parent info night, curriculum night, or a PTSA meeting. We’ve found that quarterly hosting doesn’t wear us out too much, and we always have parents show up.
We are always open to suggestions from parents or staff, but we’ve found that most people “don’t know what they don’t know” and often have trouble pinpointing what specifically they’d like to hear about! Here are some examples of topics we’ve done in the past:
- Teen Mental Health (a pretty general presentation by our school counselors)
- Growing Independent Young Adults (presented by our school counselors)
- Parents as Allies: Recognizing Early Onset Mental Health Illness in Children and Adolescents (presented by our local NAMI chapter)
- Commerce 101: Navigating the College and Career Landscape (presented by a regional workforce advisor)
- How to Communicate with Your Teen (presented by a local licensed professional counselor, our school’s former school mental health counselor)
- Trends in School Safety and Q&A with the School Resource Officer