Here's What to Expect In This Episode:
In its most simple terms, first generation students are the first in their families to attend college. According to the Center for First-Generation Student Success, “nearly 33% of students attending college or universities in the United States are first-generation.” High school counselors have an incredibly powerful role to fill to support and empower first generation students on their journeys to post secondary success!
In this episode, I’m talking about 3 ways high school counselors can serve our first generation students while they’re in our building for four years. Listen to this week’s tips and strategies to get some ideas to add to your high school counseling program!
Topics Covered in This Episode:
- Why starting the conversation with first generation students can make all the difference
- How to find out if a student is first gen and use also use that as a data collection piece
- Why naming and claiming “first gen” can bring pride
- Why working with this population is the ultimate counselor gift
- Why learning about available resources early on and often is so important
- A reminder to make it known that you’re an advocate of first generation students
- A tip to advertise opportunities and events with a personal invite
- Connecting your first generation students with others to share and hear stories
- Connect horizontally with peers through something like a small group or a workshop
- Connect vertically with members of the local community
- Why an older adult’s experiences can help shape a student’s goals, dreams, values, experiences, and purpose
- Why our position of impact can lessen the barriers for a first gen student
Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
- Blog: 5 Niche Groups of Students to Look Out for as a Supportive High School Counselor
- Blog: 4 Easy Ideas to Make College Accessible to Your High School Students
- Podcast: Episode 40- How to Advocate for All Post Secondary Plans
- Article: Cultural Competency in Post Secondary Planning
- Freebie: Scholarship Spreadsheet Template
- Resource: First Generation High School Counseling Small Group
- Resource: Transition to College Digital Presentation
- Resource: Financial Aid Literacy Presentation
Other Blog Posts + Articles You Might Like:
Connect with Lauren:
Cheers + Happy Listening!
Like what you’re hearing? Follow and leave a review on Apple Podcasts. It helps other high school counseling friends find it!
Can’t contain your excitement? Share the pod! Tell a friend! Your word-of-mouth referrals mean the world to me!