Here's What to Expect In This Episode:
I’m going to use this episode to win you over to the side of at least CONSIDERING using data in your school counseling program. Even if you’re allergic to it. Or you consider yourself to be data averse… this one’s for you.
Let’s talk about how to use data in your high school counseling program without overthinking it or making it too complicated.
With these 3 simple ideas, you’ll be able to start taking baby steps toward data instead of running away from it!
Topics Covered in This Episode:
- Acknowledge that the use of data can be scary and intimidating (but it doesn’t have to be!)
- What to consider before the start of year in terms of data
- Why data should be the thing that ethically informs the direction of your program
- Considering the pieces of data and the glaring gaps that are already in front of you
- Aligning your goals with your administrators’ goals to come alongside each other
- Avoiding data is cause for missed opportunities to serve your students well and make a larger impact in your school
- How data can establish trust throughout the school year
- Why data is the missing piece to show change, advocate for money, and garner support from your stakeholders
- Ideas for places to share your data throughout the year
- The unsuspecting and surprising group of stakeholders that became fans once they had data in front of them
- Why the use of data actually advocates for your program
- How the right data shared with the right crowd can change a perspective entirely
Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
- Blog: 3 Reasons Why Using Data Matters in Your High School Counseling Program
- Record your spooky counselor story here!
- Freebie: Data Collection Ideas Guide
- Blog: 6 Keys to Holding an Off Campus Planning Day
- Blog: 5 Promising Characteristics of a Principal Who Supports School Counselors
- Podcast: Resetting Your Admin Relationships in the New Year
- Resource: School Counseling Small Group Data Spreadsheet
- Blog: 4 Valuable Places to Share Your Compelling School Counseling Data
- Resource: “Making Data Work” Fourth Edition book
Other Blog Posts + Articles You Might Like:
Be Featured in an Upcoming Episode:
I want to hear your SPOOKIEST counseling story: the one that makes you shudder to remember or makes you want to roll over in your grave of embarrassment.
It probably was a horror story THEN but maybe you’re ready to laugh about it now.
It could be a story so legendary that we wouldn’t believe it ourselves.
You don’t have to tell us who you are… just give us a 30-second story that will make us laugh and think… glad that wasn’t me.
All submissions will be kept anonymous!
Connect with Lauren:
- Record your spooky school counseling story: www.counselorclique.com/spooky
- Join my email list and get the free Data Collection Ideas Guide for High School Counselors
- Visit my TpT store
- Send me a DM on Instagram: @counselorclique
- Follow me on Facebook
- Send me an email
- Get on the waitlist for the Clique Collaborative
Cheers + Happy Listening!
Like what you’re hearing? Follow and leave a review on Apple Podcasts. It helps other high school counseling friends find it!
Can’t contain your excitement? Share the pod! Tell a friend! Your word-of-mouth referrals mean the world to me!