Here's What to Expect In This Episode:
Even if you’re doing some summer work, there’s still a huge opportunity for you to evaluate how your personal boundaries are currently set around work in order to set a more intentional work/life balance.
Summer is a time to rest, recharge, and reset. It’s time to take what you need for YOURSELF when you get a little break from the hustle of the school year.
You now get an opportunity to slow down and take notice of your body’s cues and realize what you need (emotionally, mentally, physically) to recharge and what habits you need to set in place as you move into the next school year.
The goal is to reenergize and remember WHY you love this job in the first place! In a helping profession, we need to be extra self-aware of our needs so that we don’t burn out.
Episode 23 gives 3 personal boundaries to consider in order to set that work/life balance that you’ve been craving.
Topics Covered in This Episode:
- Notice the cues from your body leading up to the summer- what do you need to maintain a healthy work/life balance?
- List out the things you CAN do to make a positive change around some boundaries in your life
- Realize that the goal of the summer is to rest, reset, and recharge in order to give your students and families the best version of you and avoid long-term burn out
- Take your email off of your phone to avoid being connected with your work world 24/7
- Understand that your work to-do list will always get longer and it’s okay for it to roll over to the next day
- Dispel the myths of needing to be everything for everyone by being accessible to others 24/7
- Set boundaries with co-workers and teammates outside of work by avoiding talking about work-related things
- Think through how or when you’ll respond and set up a system for yourself so that you’re not caught off guard
- Leave your work computer at school so there is no temptation to disrupt your work/life balance
- Abide by your contracted hours
- Set clear expectations ahead of time for who will be the lead or who will be in attendance at required “after hours” events
- Intentionally set your own work/life balance in order to keep yourself emotionally and mentally healthy
- Set small habits that will give you lasting job satisfaction
Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
- Resource: High School Counseling Planning MEGA Bundle
- Podcast Episode: A Pep Talk for New High School Counselors (Episode 22)
- Blog Post: Counselor Self-Care: The 5 Myths You’re Believing About Work Email Causing You to Fail at It
- Freebie: 3-Day Video Job Interview Challenge
- Blog Post: 6 Keys to Holding a Productive School Counseling Department Planning Day
Other Podcast Episodes/Blog Posts You Might Like:
Connect with Lauren:
Cheers + Happy Listening!
Like what you’re hearing? Follow and leave a review on Apple Podcasts. It helps other high school counseling friends find it!
Can’t contain your excitement? Share the pod! Tell a friend! Your word-of-mouth referrals mean the world to me!