Here's What to Expect In This Episode:
Calling all new high school counselors! Get pumped up with a pre-game pep talk as you accept your new job role and daydream about next year already.
This pep talk gave me an adrenaline rush just saying it aloud to you! I want it to give you the confidence that you need to prepare for a new role!
Topics Covered in This Episode:
- Get excited to enter this new career with a pep talk to replay over and over to yourself
- Build and retain your network of other school counselors
- Stay connected with grad school counselor peers
- Know who to call on for specific projects or specialties when you have millions of questions
- Keep your chin up with confidence because you have a TON to offer
- Get your mindset in the right headspace to start your new role
- Accept that you will always be learning and won’t ever have all of the “right” answers
- Start slow with low expectations to change the world overnight
- Remember that a career is a slow trajectory, a long-term game
- Love the relationships that you will build
- Protect against burnout by engaging in hobbies we love and taking care of our own mental health
- Look forward to the best career ever! Welcome to the profession!
Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
Other Podcast Episodes/Blog Posts You Might Like:
- Episode 20: Sample Interview Questions: A Mock School Counselor Interview with Rachel from Bright Futures Counseling
- Episode 5: Resetting Your Surroundings in the New Year
- Blog Post: Dear New High School Counselor
- Blog Post: 4 Helpful Things I Wish I Knew as a First-Year High School Counselor
- Blog Post: A Day in the Life of an Adaptable High School Counselor
Connect with Lauren:
Cheers + Happy Listening!
Like what you’re hearing? Follow and leave a review on Apple Podcasts. It helps other high school counseling friends find it!
Can’t contain your excitement? Share the pod! Tell a friend! Your word-of-mouth referrals mean the world to me!