Here’s What to Expect In This Episode:
This one’s for the veteran counselors needing a pick-me-up as this school year is getting started. Listen to this back to school high school counselor pep talk for some relatable realness… but then also some encouragement.
I’m not sure which is harder on a school counselor… the first few weeks or the last few weeks of school. These beginning days are TOUGH. You are a superhuman jack-of-all-trades handling a myriad of issues with style and grace.
You may have forgotten to put on your mascara for your staff ID photo, and you may be hiding your stacks of papers under your desk when parents come in for meetings… but you’ll get it together soon.
No need to right now though. Right now, you’re in survival mode. So give this episode a listen to feel SEEN but also to remember there is a light at the end of the tunnel. You need this high school counselor pep talk more than ever right now!
You won’t be staring at a computer screen and enrolling new students forever. You’ll be counseling and helping students again in the traditional way that you’re used to SOON enough.
I hope this high school counselor pep talk can be the motivation you need to make it through these first few weeks of school!
You got this!
Topics Covered in This Episode:
- Give yourself the grace to take care of yourself during these first few weeks by getting enough sleep and lessening the pressure to make homemade meals
- Why we bear the weight of working as quickly as possible
- Why even small talk during making schedules and enrolling new students can start building valuable rapport to continue building a relationship later
- Remember your why of this job
- What to do when you’re drowning in the things you don’t like (paperwork, transcripts, computer screens)
- Evaluate your work/life balance and your needs
Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
Other Blog Posts + Podcast Episodes You Might Like:
- Podcast: Episode 23- 3 Personal Boundaries to Set a More Intentional Work/Life Balance
- Blog Post: Counselor Self-Care: The 5 Myths You’re Believing About Work Email Causing You to Fail at It
- Podcast: Episode 29- How to Invest in Yourself as a High School Counselor So That You Make a Lasting Impact on Students
- Podcast: Episode 2- Resetting Yourself in the New Year
- Blog: 4 Ways to Find New Inspiration in Your High School Counseling Role
- If your love language is gifts, consider signing yourself up to receive a monthly subscription box to Teacher Care Crate through my affiliate link!
Connect with Lauren:
- Join my email list and get an awesome College Application Day playlist on Spotify!
- Shop my TpT store
- Send me a DM on Instagram: @counselorclique
- Follow me on Facebook
- Send me an email
- Get on the waitlist for the Clique Collaborative, a high school counseling membership
Cheers + Happy Listening!
Like what you’re hearing? Follow and leave a review on Apple Podcasts. It helps other high school counseling friends find it!
Can’t contain your excitement? Share the pod! Tell a friend! Your word-of-mouth referrals mean the world to me!