Here's What to Expect In This Episode:
In Episode 25, I chronicle my personal practicum and internship experiences with a walk down memory lane… specifically deep-diving into an influential supervisor mentorship that pushed me completely outside of my comfort zone.
Then we jump into 4 tips that culminate my best advice for high school counseling interns after (obviously) being an intern, supervising interns, and being a teammate to those who have also taken interns under their wing.
Be sure to take 30 seconds or less and CLICK HERE to leave a voice memo with YOUR best advice for high school counseling interns! I want to feature your tips on an upcoming episode of the podcast!
Topics Covered in This Episode:
- A reflection on my time as a school counseling intern in elementary, middle, and high school settings
- My most influential supervisor and how she revolutionized my internship experience
- Why being pushed (read: forced) while scared during my internship prepared me for my future career
- Honest reflections on my personal internship experiences
- Why you should treat your internship as one big job interview
- How other co-workers and co-counselors can have an influence on your potential job opportunities after your internship is over
- Why taking initiative and rejecting passivity is the number one trait a high school counseling intern can have
- Why asking questions is key
- How questions can spur on really great and honest conversations with your supervisor and other co-counselors
- Do more of what makes you nervous
- Don’t wait… just act
- Make a list of what you want to accomplish in your internship… from experiences to specific populations you want to work with
- Don’t get comfortable just “shadowing” a supervisor- dive in and add every experience possible to your resume
Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
Other Blog Posts + Podcast Episodes You Might Like:
- Blog Post: Dear New High School Counselor
- Blog Post: 4 Helpful Things I Wish I Knew As a New High School Counselor
- Blog Post: 4 Places to Find Relevant School Counseling Professional Development
- Podcast Episode 20: Sample Interview Questions: A Mock Interview with Rachel from Bright Futures Counseling
- Podcast Episode 22: A Pep Talk for New High School Counselors
Connect with Lauren:
Cheers + Happy Listening!
Like what you’re hearing? Follow and leave a review on Apple Podcasts. It helps other high school counseling friends find it!
Can’t contain your excitement? Share the pod! Tell a friend! Your word-of-mouth referrals mean the world to me!