Here's What to Expect In This Episode:
In this episode, we get to hear some voices from the field give their best tips to high school counseling interns (and even new high school counselors at that)!
Listen in on a wealth of knowledge that these veteran high schools share with their new colleagues.
A special thanks to those who left voice memos with their words of wisdom to high school counseling interns: Michaela, Erica, Celeste, Jeff, Rica, Lissa, Lorraine, Allison, Lindsey, Cathy, Tae’Lor, and Jessica.
Topics Covered in This Episode:
- Take photos of the experiences you’re having so that you can remember them to reference in a job interview (especially when you’re trying to prove yourself again people when you’re trying to “make up for” a lack of experience in the field)
- Try everything you can when you’re in a supervised position and don’t be afraid to make mistakes
- Ask lots of questions and be hands-on in your experience
- Develop a “humble confidence” in the way you approach your counseling situations and your day-to-day
- Take part in every type of meeting you possibly can in order to be as familiar as possible with anything you may run into
- Remember your “why” by keeping a folder of thank you nice, funny stories, and meaningful memories
- Create openness and availability for connection between the intern/supervisor relationship
- Get involved as much as possible and assert yourself in places you want to learn and grow
- Offer to help with big projects or programs that the counseling team is running
- Speak up about how you can be best utilized as a counseling intern
- Connect with everyone in the counseling department from other school counselors to mental health counselor, clerks, school psychologist, and more
- Acknowledge your weaknesses
- Be present in the community that you’re serving by getting to know your stakeholders
Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
Other Blog Posts + Podcast Episodes You Might Like:
- Podcast: My 4 Best Pieces of Advice for High School Counseling Interns
- Blog Post: 4 Inspiring Tips for Eager High School Counseling Interns
- Blog Post: Dear New High School Counselor
- Blog Post: 4 Helpful Things I Wish I Knew As a New High School Counselor
- Blog Post: 4 Places to Find Relevant School Counseling Professional Development
- Podcast Episode 20: Sample Interview Questions: A Mock Interview with Rachel from Bright Futures Counseling
- Podcast Episode 22: A Pep Talk for New High School Counselors
Connect with Lauren:
Cheers + Happy Listening!
Like what you’re hearing? Follow and leave a review on Apple Podcasts. It helps other high school counseling friends find it!
Can’t contain your excitement? Share the pod! Tell a friend! Your word-of-mouth referrals mean the world to me!