Here's What to Expect In This Episode:
This episode highlights a few back to school tips for high school counselors looking to ready their spaces and program.
Your worth as a high school counselor isn’t dependent on how much stuff you have in your office or how much financial support you get from your principal, district, or PTSA. But it sure doesn’t hurt to dream about what would make your counselor life easier, does it?
Let’s talk about the non-negotiables and the “would be nice” things to have in your office. There are definitely some school counselor essentials and some school counselor office must haves that I can’t live without, but everyone’s will be different!
Rest assured anything in this episode is NOT NECESSARY… just adds to all of the wonderful things you’re already doing as a high school counselor!
Listen to this week’s episode for a few back to school tips to consider as you move into next school year!
Enter the Giveaway!
- Screenshot your favorite episode of “How to Kick-Start Your Year as a High School Counselor” — a private podcast full of actionable, back to school tips
- Share it on your Instagram story
- Tag me, @counselorclique, on the story
- Tune in to see if you’re the winner of a Counselor Clique® Rctic Mug on Tuesday, August 2!
Topics Covered in This Episode:
- Why it’s important to decide what you want versus what you need (there’s a difference!)
- Start slow and build
- Consider asking “what will make my counselor life easier?”
- Avoid comparison- all offices are different
- Ensure a safe space for students
- Set the non-negotiables for your office
- Change things up if you feel like your office has gotten stale
- Spend any financial support you get (read: money) with intentionality
Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
- Private Podcast: “How to Kick-Start Your Year as a High School Counselor”
- Resource: School Counselor Beginning of the Year Presentation
- Blog: 4 Helpful Categories of Back-to-School Essentials for High School Counselors
- Amazon Store Front
- All Counselor Clique Blogs
- Pop Up Facebook Group: “Kick-Start Your Year as a High School Counselor” (Opens August 8- request to join now!)
Other Blog Posts + Podcast Episodes You Might Like:
- Podcast: Episode 31- 4 Things I’ve Learned About Getting Money for Professional Development Opportunities
- Podcast: Episode 29- How to Invest in Yourself as a High School Counselor So That You Make a Lasting Impact on Students
- Podcast: Episode 2- Resetting Yourself in the New Year
- Blog: 4 Helpful Tools to Sync Your School Counseling Systems
- Blog: 4 Ways to Find New Inspiration in Your High School Counseling Role
Connect with Lauren:
Cheers + Happy Listening!
Like what you’re hearing? Follow and leave a review on Apple Podcasts. It helps other high school counseling friends find it!
Can’t contain your excitement? Share the pod! Tell a friend! Your word-of-mouth referrals mean the world to me!