Here's What to Expect In This Episode:
Liz is a public high school counselor in a large school in New Jersey. The population at her school has a high immigrant population and lots of bilingual students. She works on a team of counselors who have been helping to guide her through her first year as a high school counselor.
Though she’s not new to education, she started her public high school counselor job mid-way through the year which presented her with the challenges of imposter syndrome.
In this week’s episode, Liz shares the highs and lows of the first seven months of her job including what kept her moving forward on the hard days.
This is the first of a series of podcast episodes with some voices from the field who are also all members of the Clique Collaborative, my high school counseling membership!
Topics Covered in This Episode:
- Liz’s journey through teaching, going to grad school, having kids, and becoming a public high school counselor
- How becoming a mom changed her perspective on working with students
- What it was like to start out in a new position in the middle of a school year
- Liz’s advice for (other) new school counselors
- How working with a team provided support to her as a new counselor
- A new perspective on graduation from the public high school counselor point-of-view versus a teacher’s point-of-view
- How the Clique Collaborative has supported Liz in her first 7 months
- How the Clique Collaborative is making Liz’s life easier
Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
- Shop the 2-day TpT sale using the code BTS22 for 25% off
- Pop Up Facebook Group: “Kick-Start Your Year as a High School Counselor” (Opens August 8- request to join now!)
- Private Podcast: “How to Kick-Start Your Year as a High School Counselor”
Other Blog Posts + Podcast Episodes You Might Like:
- Podcast: Episode 6- Guest Episode with Emily, a Member of the Clique Collaborative
- Podcast: Episode 28- Why You Shouldn’t Discount a High School Counselor Community
- Podcast: Episode 29- How to Invest in Yourself as a High School Counselor So That You Make a Lasting Impact on Students
- Podcast: Episode 22- A Pep Talk for New High School Counselors
- Blog: 4 Ways to Find New Inspiration in Your High School Counseling Role
Meet Our Guest:
Liz taught high school math for nine and a half years before moving into a public high school counseling position in January 2022. She graduated from the same high school that she taught math at and now works at as a counselor.
She loves being a mom to her two kids (ages 4 and 6), spending time with her family, and working as a high school counselor!
Connect with Lauren:
- Unlock access to the private podcast feed, “How to Kick-Start Your Year as a High School Counselor”
- Shop my TpT store
- Send me a DM on Instagram: @counselorclique
- Follow me on Facebook
- Send me an email
- Get on the waitlist for the Clique Collaborative, a high school counseling membership
Cheers + Happy Listening!
Like what you’re hearing? Follow and leave a review on Apple Podcasts. It helps other high school counseling friends find it!
Can’t contain your excitement? Share the pod! Tell a friend! Your word-of-mouth referrals mean the world to me!